Saturday, July 11, 2009

Suno’s Liberal Use of Pattern Does Not Make Me Want to Gouge My Eyes Out

I’m definitely biased considering the bulk of my wardrobe is black/white/grey/brown, but with the scene look that led into the whole hipster thing wrapped up in the ironic 80’s trend that just needs to go away, I’d rather not take any chances in looking like a walking seizure. Prada was able to coerce me out of my monochromatic shell in s/s 08 with plaid-on-plaid and a little Jean Jean as bait, but not much has sparked an interest since.
I bookmarked Suno a while ago after reading an article discussing founder Max Osterweis’s use of collected Kenyan textiles for the line. The clothing is designed in New York City, and the patterns are sent back to Africa to be produced, employing local talent in hopes of spurring social and economic change (suck in Dov).
What I appreciate about the clothes themselves is that the silhouettes are just as intriguing as the use of pattern and color, so as not to have one element screaming over the other and down-playing it. But in the midst of all of the goings on, they aren’t too visually complicated.






Admittedly, most of the resort collection is still too much, but it’s growing on me. Considering though that the company is practically still a baby, only three seasons in, I’m ready to see more from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment